Thursday, March 13, 2008

Annie Says

Annie said a lot of good things in this clip. I would like to respond to each one of the questions. However, the question I can go on and on about is the third one which asks, "How do I spend my leisure time, and how much of my time is spent on leisure? Does my leisure time match my priorities?"

To answer that question I will start by saying, “I a full time student and a part time parent.” This does not allow me to have much leisure time at all. When I am not in school learning, I am at home studying, doing homework or being a housewife/mother. With things being the way they are my days are full. Therefore, when I do have a moment to spend by myself I am usually resting. I would like to be shopping for clothes but I don’t because I rather lay in my bed. Therefore, I leave the clothes shopping to my children. However, the type of shopping I do induldge in would be food shopping. After all I need a house full of food to occupy me while I lounge.

I feel after getting up early every morning to go to school and work I deserve to lounge around for a day or two. Nevertheless, on the weekends I am guilty of spending way too much time watching television. When I wake up on Saturday and Sunday mornings the fist thing I do is get my remote and turn on my television set to see what’s on. I will spend all day watching Lifetime, LMN, History, Discovery, Oxygen, Hallmark, TNT, and USA channels. I will lay in my bed watch these channels until I have to cook or use the restroom.

Dare not bother me when forensic files, CSI and Americas Most Wanted is on.

When I am not in school, I can spend all day everyday looking at television. It becomes a regular routine with me. Each day at the same time I will watch the same programs. The only time I will watch something different is when a special movie is on. If there is a rerun/marathon of Law and Order, The Closer, Cold Case or Matlock on I will not budge until a commercial come on or the movie goes off.

On a weekly basis, I don't know exactly how much time I spend watching television. What I do know is it's too much. I use television as my relaxation. Sometimes I don't want to crawl up with a good book. I rather give my brain a rest and let the television be my bedtime story, my lullaby.

I can honestly say, I spend too many hours doing what I want to do and not what I should be doing. In retrospect, does my leisure time match with my priorities? No! when I should be studying or reading a book, instead I allow myself to be mesmerized by the ignorance box. My justification for this behavior is, I deserve to do nothing but lounge around, not just on the weekends, but, every chance I get. In actuality, I ought to have my face in the books to be better equipped for the school weeks to come.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Debbie,

I applaud you for being so candid and honest about the fact that you spend a ridiculous amount of time in front of the television on a weekly basis. Most people, including myself, would probably deny that fact. Something you might want to take into consideration is that watching television so much is just a bad habbit. We tend to believe that watching so much tv will relax us and make us feel good, when in fact, it really does not. You might want to consider relaxing in the park, maybe with your children. Bring your books with you, not so much to study, but just to look over and be kept informed on the course. Exercising is also a great way to feel good after school and working so hard at home and at your job. In the beginning it feels just like work, but after awhile, it helps your mind, body and soul to relax. You will not feel so much need to watch so much tv ever again.

Ligia said...

Hello,
It appears that you are a very busy woman, taking care of your kids, house, husband, and school. Like you said a lot of leisure time is spend in these activities. However, the rest of your leisure time you spend watching TV. This is something very comment among all of us. Just like Quintana said, we tend to believe that watching TV is a way of relaxing. But it is not true because we get distracted and influenced by the advertisement, news and movies. A better way of relaxing would be to go out for a walk in a calm place or just listen to music. Trying having at least Sunday for your self that’s the least you deserve for doing all those activities for your family.

LovelyDiamond said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LovelyDiamond said...

Hi Debbie,
Your personality definately shows in your blogs. I think its great how honest you are and your writing is very clear. The colors of your page and your font is easy on the eyes,the only thing is you can use some photos, I'm not sure if you know how to do that yet, but if not we'll do that today. Overall Good Job!! :-D