Saturday, March 22, 2008

My Journey! My Passion!

My journey and My passion may go in two different directions. Although this may be the case I’m sure they will meet at the crossroads.


What I am trying to say is I may be heading in a total different direction than my passion. All my life the only thing I wanted to do is work in a hospital and become a nurse. Somewhere along the line I got distracted and my life was interrupted. My dreams were shattered and my life was put on hold.


The blessing in this story was I gave birth to five beautiful children. Although having my children may have caused my journey to be temporarily stagnated, I got back on track. They are teenagers now and I am headed in a new direction.

I am in college now after being out of school for thirty years. When I first enrolled in LaGuardia Community college, my intentions were to follow my dreams of becoming a nurse. After being in school for two years, I realized it would take more time than I am willing to give.


Now I have come to the conclusion, I will not become a registered nurse I will become a licensed practical nurse instead. I will still follow my passion for helping people and possibly working in a hospital which will fulfill my heart and life.


My journey, My passion, is heading in a new direction. It starts at LaGuardia Community College. This is my last semester, after I receive my associates degree I intend on going back to school for my Bachelors Degree, but not right away. I would like to get my feet wet in a hospital working as a social worker first in hopes that they will pay for me to go back to school to get a higher degree.

Since I have been at LaGuardia I have been working in the Health Services Center as a Peer Health Educator. This job helps me network not just within the college but with different organizations outside that the college is affiliated with.


I know working in the Health Services Center is not working in a hospital; however it is where I am learning a lot about the world of health and other organizations involved.

These are the links which are most interesting to me:


Energy - it's most important we as visitors of this planet use energy efficient bulbs and appliances.

Climate Crisis- crisis and control. Our summers are getting hotter and our winters are staying warmer!!! Doesn’t that tell you something?

Green Powered Homes- Yea Right!!!! How’s that going to work? I can hear the controversy with the people on the block saying,” This is causing my property value to decrease. You pompous idiot!!! The world is about to burn.

Public Transportation - I can see the sardines packed neatly into the cars now. They are angry because the train was half hour late.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle- This is my favorite because I am still learning how to do this.


These sites were very interesting to me because they are the ones that I have the hardest time following. I rather drive oppose to taking the train. I am still getting the hang of recycling and although I see the greener bags in the grocery store, I'd rather use theirs. Going Green for me will take some getting used to however I am putting an effort into it. I am more aware of the difference.

2 comments:

Doctor X said...

Excellent post, Debbie. I am glad you are enjoying this type of writing.

Marock said...

I'm very impressed your goal. Great. I believe you can achieve your goal. I don't have any goal in my life, but I want to have my own goal after I see your post.