Saturday, March 8, 2008

Ignoring the Green

Today is Friday March 7, 2008. I’ve done several things today which made my day quit busy. Certain things I’ve done today were not environment friendly. I am aware of Global warming and my duties to help the “Going Green” process. With the knowledge I have about Global warming I do very little to help the environment.


For example, I live in a New York City Housing development; therefore, I feel, since I throw my garbage into a receptacle I do not have to recycle. Although, above the garbage shoot there is a sign which tells you what you should and should not throw in it, I tend to ignore it. My thoughts are who will know?


I know that running the water for long periods of time is considered a waste. Another thing I do to ignore what’s going on around me is, when I brush my teeth I leave the water running. I know running water can lead to a drought. I do the same thing when I take a shower. I pay no attention to how long I stay in the shower nor do I turn the water off when I soap up my body. Also when I do my laundry, I can have a small load yet I allow the water to fill all the way up to the top as though it was a large load.


I am fully aware of the things I do not do to help the environment. The thing I refuse to consider is, what if everyone in the world carryon the way I do and ignore the little things today which eventually will add up to a bigger problem tomorrow? Although I feel little or no remorse for what I do, I need to think on a larger scale, after all how will what I do today affect my children for tomorrow?

4 comments:

Jan Michael Dionisio said...

I agree about your thoughts on water. I am guilty of the same habit of brushing my teeth with the water running. It takes a lot of conscious effort to change such a small habit disappear. Going green is definitely a lifestyle that will change not only our lives, but the lives of those around us. Since we are social beings, the more people see that we're taking the time and effort to change our ways, they will also, sooner or later. and here's the news flash..that bigger problem that everyone dreads is tomorrow? well, it was yesterday..and it's still a problem, don't you think? nice post btw!

Fletcher said...

You say that, when you throw recyclables into the trash chute, you think "Well, who's gonna know?" That's a legitimate sentiment and one that a hell of a lot of people share.

But what I find interesting is that you have children, and that does not factor into your actions. Sure, your son doesn't care about the plastic that just went into the landfill, but he will when he's a little older and there's not oil left.

That's the biggest problem with the environment as a concept. Don't look at what changes will happen for you. Look at the changes you can start for your children to benefit from.

Doctor X said...

Honesty--I like that. Remember the cartoon I showed the first day of class? Where the older generation is "stealing" from its children? That's what we are doing (I do it too). Some call it selfishness. I call it greed--we have been taught to be greedy and take more than our share of the pie.

The World said...

I totally understand what you are saying. Some of us tend to have a small picture about certain things in life not because we don’t care about it, but because there are other things we must worry in order to provide the best for our families. However, we should not forget that living in a safe environment not only includes housing, food, medical services, and education; it should also include our natural environment because if our only home, EARTH, collapses, then our commitment of creating a safe environment for our children would have been unaccomplished. We need to keep in mind that in the course of history people had came together to put an end to the situations that had put at risk the safety of people. I think that only when we develop a global understanding and learn about the global impacts of things, we can then take some responsibilitiess for our actions.